Oops! The page you've requested doesn't exist anymore. Possible reasons could be that the message timed out after 30 days, or that the owner deleted it.
Approaching 2 Million Visitors to Israel Daily Picture!
1,968,848 visitors as of today --
And the book is almost ready.
|Photo: U.S. Senators and spouses visiting Jerusalem in 1936 to protest |
British restrictions on Jewish immigration into Palestine and to investigate
attacks on Jews by Arabs.
Hardcover, Urim Publications, ISBN 978-9655242355
Why the Jerusalem Merchant Closed His Shop when the Emperor Came in 1898
|The shuttered shop at Jaffa Gate when the German|
Emperor arrived in 1898. (Ottoman Imperial Archives)
The German Emperor's arrival in Jerusalem on October 28, 1898 was a major news item around the world. The Ottoman rulers of Jerusalem and Palestine changed the face of Jerusalem to receive him. Victory arches were built along his route, and the Old City wall was breached to allow passage of his carriage.
And as the picture above shows, one shopkeeper closed his shutters. Why?
The day was Saturday, and as we discovered in a photograph in the Library of Congress archives, the shop was a Jewish-owned hat store. We enlarged that picture and discovered the shop and its clientele. A sign with Hebrew writing hung above the store. (Readers are invited to decipher it.) The owner closed his store for the Sabbath, and the Jews of Jerusalem received the Emperor elsewhere in the city.
|Enlarged photo of the millinery shop|
|The Emperor and his wife passing under the Jewish community's arch on Jaffa Road. |
The photos of the Emperor's visit established the photographers of the American
Colony in the world market.
Below is the full Library of Congress picture of Jaffa Gate with the following caption: "Photograph taken before October 1898 visit of Kaiser Wilhelm II to Jerusalem when a breach was made in the wall near the Jaffa Gate. (Source: L. Ben-David, Israel's History - A picture a day.)"
|Jaffa Gate and the Jewish shop (Library of Congress)|
Coming Attractions: Ottoman Rabbis and the Jerusalem Store that Boycotted the German Emperor
The Ottoman Imperial Archives continues to share its digitized photographic treasures online.
These important historical pictures were recently released. We will be providing the background to these pictures in the near future.
Ottoman Rabbis of the 19th century.
The German Emperor arrived in Jerusalem in 1898. All of the city turned out to receive him with great fanfare, but we noticed that one shop, the closest to the Jaffa Gate, closed its shutters. Why?
|The German Emperor arrives at Jaffa Gate in 1898, but why did one shop stay closed?|
This shop shuttered its front.
Readers of this site know that it was a millinery store.
Answers next week.
2,000,000th Visitor to this Site Expected next Month. First Book on its Way
Jerusalem Was Captured by the British 98 Years Ago. New Photos from the Ottoman Archives
The latest batch of photographs released this week by the Ottoman Imperial Archives includes several treasures showing historical sites and events in Palestine. The picture above shows two cavalrymen from the British forces hoisting a Turkish flag on their bayonets.
|"The End of Ottoman Rule in Jerusalem, December 9, 1917." Two cavalrymen from|
the British forces hoisting a Turkish flag on their bayonets. (Ottoman Imperial Archives)
In the past, we featured several pictures found in the Library of Congress (LOC) and Monash University (Australia) archives showing the surrender of Jerusalem to the British forces in December 1917. The LOC picture of two British sergeants accepting the surrender flag from Jerusalem officials (not Turkish officers) is one of the most iconic photographs of World War I in Palestine. The picture was taken by a photographer from the American Colony Photo Department; the flag was a sheet take from an American Colony bed.
The Monash archives provided a picture of Turkish soldiers hurrying into the Jaffa Gate of Jerusalem's Old City on December 9, 1917, "driven from the outlying hills by our men," the caption reads. From the Old City they continued their retreat toward the Dead Sea.
But the photo was not very clear. The Ottoman Archives photo below is so clear that viewers can see the writing on the building on the left, "Bezalel" in Hebrew and English. The Bezalel pavilion was built outside of the Jaffa Gate in 1912 to sell souvenirs and crafts made at the Bezalel Academy of Arts. The structure was demolished in 1918 by the British.
|Turkish retreat from the Jerusalem hillsides on December 9, 1917. The Bezalel Pavilion is on the left.|
(Ottoman Imperial Archives)