I live in Jerusalem and am looking for part-time work. I am currently doing work as an executive personal assistant. I am open to other work.
- Native English speaker from the U.S.
- Responsible with a positive attitude
- Good with computers
- Experience running my own medical clinic
- Experience teaching English and Mandarin
- Excellent people skills
- Conversational Hebrew
I am American, an entrepreneur, health professional, and teacher, living in Jerusalem. I owned and managed a Wellness Clinic with 20 practitioners of different modalities in the US. As an entrepreneur, I have experience managing people and building a business. I have a background as a human resources professional in hi-tech. I am also an English and Mandarin teacher. I spent five years in Asia teaching English to executives and adults, and am very familiar with Chinese culture. I speak conversational Mandarin, French, Spanish, and Hebrew. I am religious and married with a baby B”H.
CEO/Clinical Director, Elkayam Center for Integrative Medicine, El Cerrito, CA, 2011-present
- Director of an integrative health center with seven treatment rooms.
- Responsible for recruiting and hiring front desk, office manager, and clinical positions.
- Established a seven treatment room health center involving approximately 20 practitioners, including massage therapists, psychotherapists, a nutritionist, life coaches, and estheticians.
- Manages all rentals of treatment rooms to practitioners as property manager of the clinic
- Serving as Clinical Director, treating 6-12 patients/day, with a focus on the following: gastrointestinal, pain, hypothyroid issues, and anxiety/insomnia.
- Responsible for all marketing initiatives, including managing the clinic website, obtaining patient reviews on Yelp/Google, all social media posting, newsletter campaigns, publishing videos on our YouTube channel, etc.
- Establish human resource policies for staff to follow.
Clinical Internships at Various Clinics, U.S. and Asia, 12/2006 – 4/2011
- Interned at several hospitals in Beijing and a private clinic in Taiwan.
- In the U.S., interned in a private clinic that saw 350 patient visits per week. Independently treated 5-7 patients per hour using acupuncture, cupping, guasha, and moxa.
- Conditions treated included a wide variety of pathologies including musculoskeletal pain, fertility, hepatitis, cancer, fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrom, depression, etc.
- Conducted new patient interviews, initial intakes, physical exams.
- Familiar with writing treatment plans.
- Wrote a presentation on Chinese Medicine and presented biweekly educational/marketing component to community; attended numerous marketing events and made presentations to the community.
Human Resources Experience
Human Resources Contractor (part-time while in graduate school),
Hercules, CA, 3/2001 – 6/2004
- Administered and presented an employee survey. Analyzed results statistically and presented report to HR Director. Also produced similar report for company’s exit survey data.
- Managed the company’s annual Merit Increase Program, developing the project timeline, creating appropriate electronic forms for managers, and analyzing and presenting salary information.
- Complete other special projects as needed, including HRIS reporting and audit of HRIS data.
Recruiter (contract position), Various High-Tech Firms, SF Bay Area,
- Recruited (full cycle) for the follow positions: Technical (Oracle Database Developers/Administrator, Network Administration, QA Engineer), Creative (Graphic Artist/Web Designer), Business Development (VP Business Development), Distribution (VP Warehouse Distribution), Accounting (Accounts Payable Specialist, Payroll Manager), Marketing (Affiliate Programs Manager); Editorial (Staff writer, Editor, Assistant, Copy Editor), Producer, Web Developer, Web Designer, Administrative Assistant, Ad Traffic Coordinator, Sales (District Sales Manager, Account Executive, Account Coordinator), Facilities (Director, Clerk).
- Handled all vendors and negotiated fee agreements to obtain contract employees and direct hires.
- Recruited at job fairs.
- Handled employee relations issues and conducted exit interviews.
- Initiated contact with vendors to establish a Resume Management/Applicant Tracking System.
- Wrote text for corporate Human Resources web page.
Sr. Human Resources Representative, Bio-Rad Laboratories,
Hercules, CA, 3/1999 – 3/2000
- Main human resources point of contact for Bio-Rad’s Life Science Group in Hercules (300 employees)
- Recruited in the following areas (over 30 requisitions): technical (scientist, chemist, engineering, IT), marketing, sales, service (including customer and field service positions), administrative/clerical, and accounting. Source resumes using Internet and print sources. Conduct interviews (using Behavioral Interviewing). Coach managers throughout the hiring process.
- Reviewed and approved performance reviews using company’s compensation structure.
- Conducted college recruiting.
- Counseled employees on employee relations issues. Presented and administered new policy manual to employees.
- Developed new company process for hiring temporary employees, resulting in better service to managers and quicker turnaround on requests for temporary employees while maintaining value.
Contract Recruiter, Various Bay Area Companies, San Francisco, CA, 10/1997 – 2/1999
- Recruited for exempt- and nonexempt-level technical, accounting, manufacturing, and administrative positions. Used Internet and printed media to source candidates, and worked with contingency recruiting agencies. Interviewed candidates and conducted staffing meetings with managers to ensure efficient hiring of qualified candidates.
- Conducted compensation analysis of jobs, aligning company jobs to industry survey data. Assisted managers in writing job descriptions and matching employees to correct job level in industry, allowing company to complete a competitive compensation analysis.
- Consulted with attorneys regarding employment issues, including: hiring of temporary employees/co-employment; FCRA; proper use of employee background checks. Wrote company procedure for hiring of temporary employees.
- Edited and assembled the statewide human resources policy manual.
- Designed human resources systems for new department, including personnel file system, employee processing system, and team interviewing process.
Human Resources Generalist, Whalen & Company,
Lafayette, CA, 2/1995 - 8/1997
- Developed, implemented, and maintained the company's first formal compensation system for a company of 350 employees. Resulted in a necessary decrease of average merit increases from 16.5% to 4.5% during financially difficult period in company history. Created clear employee expectations for receiving bonuses.
- Significantly revised and improved performance review system, incorporating production goals and employee professional goals, and reflecting a strong values-centered work culture.
- Redesigned company HRIS, resulting in enhanced accuracy and accessibility.
- Counseled employees and coached market managers, resulting in creative solutions to employee issues related to team dynamics, management, compensation, and work stress. Cited by supervisor for being “very empathic.”
- Managed human resources teams to deliver programs to employees.
- Produced regular staffing reports for management. Initiated company's first formal college recruiting program with top engineering programs across the country.
- Presented new human resources programs to employees, top-level management, and executive teams in offices across the US and Canada. Wrote company-wide communications, articles for company newsletter, and produced manuals for managers detailing human resources programs
- Received several promotions in brief time period. Cited by supervisor for being “very detail oriented and extremely thorough.”
Paralegal, Carroll, Burdick & McDonough, San Francisco, CA, 3/1993 - 11/1994
- Involved in all phases of litigation and trial preparation in the following practice areas: employment law, corporate litigation, construction and real estate litigation.
- Prepared discovery responses, arranged serving of court papers, maintained calendar, summarized depositions, worked with private investigators and witnesses, and aided attorney during trial. Worked for managing partner and cited for excellent written and verbal skills.
Mandarin Teacher, El Cerrito, California 9/2014-7/2015
- Taught private Mandarin (Chinese) classes to adults and children.
- Emphasized speaking, proper pronunciation, with a focus on practical day-to-day topics.
English Teacher, Beijing, Shanghai (People’s Republic of China) Taipei, Taiwan 3/2005-7/ 2010
- Spent five years in Asia working in hospitals and studying Mandarin to improve my skills as an acupuncturist, supporting myself by teaching English in business and in a large university
- Taught individual and group business English and skills-based classes at all levels.
- Taught group class “English for Human Resources Professionals”
- Delivered one-day seminar to physicians: “Presentation Skills for Medical Professionals”.
- Focused on conversational business English and taught additional courses, including: email, English for social occasions, English for negotiations, HR English, etc.
- Consistently receive outstanding reviews from all students.
- Clients include: Pfizer, Ernst & Young, Roche, Henkel, Dulux, Givaudan, Pepsi, Siemens, Rockwell, Associated British Foods, ING, Philips, Samsung, China Trust Bank, Prudential, Mass Mutual Life, Alliance Bernstein, Hermes, Ikea, and others.
- Taught English in a university setting in Beijing.
Education, Licenses & Certificates
B.A., Psychology, Haverford College, Haverford, PA, 1992
M.S., Traditional Chinese Medicine, Academy of Chinese Culture and Health Sciences, Oakland, CA, 2004
License in Acupuncture, California, April 2006 (No. 10931); Virginia, May 2011 (No. 0121000623)
Bachelor of Arts, Psychology, Haverford College, Haverford, PA, 1992 (GPA: 3.4)
University-Level Mandarin Studies:
Beijing Language University (北京语言大学), 高级班, Beijing, September 2008 – January 2009
Shanghai Jiaotong University (上海交通大学), 中级班, Shanghai, March 2008 – July 2008
National Chengchi University（台湾政治大学), 中级班, Taipei, Sept 2006 – Aug 2007
National Normal University（台湾师范大学, 初级班, Taipei, February 2005 – June 2005
HSK Test of Mandarin Proficiency, Advanced Certification, Test Level 5 (New HSK)
Conversational in Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, French, and Hebrew (Ulpan Level 5).